Quebec is the capital city of the Canadian province of Quebec. It is the seventh-largest metropolitan area and the eleventh largest city in Canada. For anyone moving to or a resident of Quebec housing cost is one of the factors that are taken to account. However, apartment and family dwellings are generally affordable, and even more as you move away from the big cities.
When you are searching for an apartment in Quebec you will have to know your rights as a tenant, such as how to renew your lease, should the landlord raise rent, and others as discussed below.
Before accepting to stay in a potential unit ensure to read carefully the lease agreement given by your landlord. Get to know:
· Rent payment – In rent payment it’s really hard for either the tenant or the landlord to set up rules, therefore to prevent lateness and other issues the law provides the rules on the rent payment. Knowing the cost of the apartment it’s also important to know the penalties from the landlord of late payment and a suitable method for payment.
· Rent increment and lease renewal – Quebec has laws about renewing leases and rental increases. The lease is renewed automatically on the same terms unless the landlord has changed the terms. In rent increment the landlord has to send a written notice to the tenant, the notice deadline depends on the type of lease. The notice should include the amount proposed to be the new rent, length of the new lease that is the landlord wants to change the length and the amount of time the tenant has to refuse the rent increment.
· Leases – In the residential lease which is conducted between the tenant and landlord. In the contract, the tenant agrees on how much and how to pay the rent. In this contract, all the restrictions and penalties are set within the contract. As long as the lease contract runs, anyone who buys the building will not force the tenant to vacate but will continue with the tenant lease until it ends.
2. Apartment restrictions
When you rent a place, that place becomes your personal cocoon. This is why you have to get to know the below restriction before signing the lease agreement.
· Visiting – Most people value privacy and you would like strangers invading and going through your space. Quebec’s civil code protects privacy and has created rules about how landlords should respect the tenants. However, landlords have the rights to visit your apartment in some situations such as showing a potential tenant or buyer the apartment, when checking the condition of the apartment, during emergencies and to do work that is not urgent.
· Pets – It’s hard to find an apartment when you have a pet however some landlords accept tenant having pets but with some conditions applied which you have to understand before signing the lease agreement. The Quebec civil hasn’t stated anything about this, but the landlord will state whether animals are allowed or not. Some of the conditions applied to host a pet are ensuring a peaceful environment with the neighbors, maintain the pet clean, not change the breed that is allowed to be kept in the apartment.
· House safety and repairment – Many factors can affect the state of your building, depending on how serious the situation is the tenant can cancel the lease agreement and leave the apartment during repairs or completely vacate. The Quebec law considers that an apartment is unfit to live when there is a serious risk to people’s safety and health. Therefore, before moving in you have to ensure that the condition of the rental is secure for both your life and health
You have to know whether the home is clean, good shape, fit your rent budget if all are satisfied with you, you should consider the following too;
· Renters insurance – The insurance protects the tenant financially if an accident occurs damaging your home, furniture, and belongings. The premiums paid to the insurance company vary deepening on the risk covered, the value of the insecure property and the amount of insurance.
Tenants may want to cancel their lease and leave the apartment but canceling the lease is only allowed in special cases such as:
· Spousal or sexual violence.
· When the landlord neglects important responsibilities.
· When the landlord accepts to end the lease.
· Any other information that may be important.
Apartment on rent :- https://www.caprent.com/apartments-for-rent/montreal-qc/